My teener, Venessa, will so totally disagree with this post, but no matter how much she abhors the thought , no matter how she denies it, the truth can't escape her.
The teenage years are the time when you don't want to be anything like your mom. You don't want to be seen around her (oh, but my teens do, especially if they need to do some shopping). You protest when she says the song you love is a song by Sting rehashed. You call her a cougar when she tries to like the bands and the singers you like (but her pretend "fangirl" is so not true. She just wants to relate to you.). You swear you will never be like her when you grow up.
But believe me, you could be copying some mommy habits right now!
Not convinced? Let me point them out to you...
- You just need to have your nails done every Saturday, and oh, you just need to have coffee with your friends and gossip for five hours!
- You just can't wait. You get so impatient waiting in line at Forever 21's dressing room that you proceed gung-ho and try the clothes. In the middle of the store! Who cares if anyone sees you?
- You're obsessed with sales and discounts. Even when you are so not planning on buying those gorgeous, extremely cool gargoyle sunglasses and those wedgies in a color that would match those clothes you tried in the middle of the store, you end up spending a whole lot because you are thinking of how much you have "saved" because it is on sale!
- You hate getting stuck in traffic-and you feel the need to tell everyone about it.
- You have no driver's license, but you act and sound like you are a better driver. And you make rude gestures if a car cuts into your path.
- When your friends come over, you play the perfect host and insist that they should have something to snack on. When they tell you they are full, you still bring out all of the junk inside the ref and force them to eat!
- Your bag is always heavy because it is a mini-beauty parlor slash medicine cabinet! You can't leave home without your beauty kit (which would occupy around seventy percent of your bag) , band aids, paracetamol, breath mints, a humongous planner, and tons of other "important" stuff like eyelash curler and a big paddle brush!
- When your siblings annoy you, you call them by their full names.
- Before going on a long road trip with your friends, you ask if anyone needs to go to the bathroom first because it is going to be a long drive.
- You have a long playlist of sentimental music in your iPod and it is that kind of music you'd hear in the grocery store (I saw my daughter shake her head in wonder as The Script's song is being played at the grocery!)
- You hate messy rooms. You can't help but pick up your little brother's or BFF's dirty clothes off the floor.
Now, tell me. Are you turning into your mom?