Last Updated on May 6, 2021 by Marie Bautista
Science is a complex subject – no one will argue about that. With all terms, definitions, concepts and etc. it entails, it is not hard to imagine why some students are having a hard time enjoying the subject. But learning about science can be a fun experience for both parents, Dedicated IP chemistry tutor, teachers, and students.
There are things that can assist both parents and teachers in teaching science the fun and easy way. Some of these are the following:
- Use simple term and words in explaining definitions, how things work, why they work that way and the like. One of the reasons why children and adults alike are either afraid or bored of learning about science is because of the terms and explanations are often elaborate and complex.
- Can’t find the right words to explain a topic? Why not show them instead? Make use of simple and safe experiments you and your child can enjoy. There are lots of Do-It-Yourself science experiments that can be done at the comforts of your home. Also, use the advantage of the internet – it has tons of videos for every age that can help students understand certain topics.
- Don’t stick to books. There are lots of resources out there that are not limited to paperbacks and prints. Take advantage of science fairs, science museums and the like in exploring the world of science.
- Use your other senses in teaching science instead of only two. More often than not, students learn by hearing what the teacher is saying and seeing words and pictures pertaining to the subject being discussed. If we can incorporate the other senses like touch, smell and taste, they are more likely to have the full experience of teaching, especially young children.
- Use fun facts and icebreakers every now and then to let students relax for a minute or two. These can be random facts about the topic being discussed or an entirely different subject.
- Tailor your lesson to a game. Any lesson turned and incorporated into a game will surely peak anyone’s interest, and the great thing about it is they get to learn while playing. The internet offers lots of ideas how to do so.
- Give rewards. Every kid who exerts an ample amount effort deserves a treat, even if the results are not excellent. Rewards motivate young learners and competitive adults to strive better for the next opportunity, so why not use that motivation?
- Make a topic into a song. A young child can sing many nursery rhymes without the ability to read, why not use that in teaching students? Pick a song or create a melody of your own, and incorporate a topic by changing the lyrics into key pointers of the subject.
It is important to note that each and every student has a learning pace of their own. Some can quickly understand lessons without much explanation, while some needs thorough guidance on certain topics. Some students can learn better when studying with others, while others need a fewer study buddies or needs a one on one tutorial in order to learn. Science tutors from SmileTutor agency (click here to find a tutor) are competent when it comes to the subject and can help your child have a better experience in learning the subject.