Last Updated on April 13, 2017 by Marie Bautista
|A photo by David Castillo Dominici via freedigitalphotos.net|
Susan Vento’s husband, Bruce, was a member of the US House of Representatives until October 10, 2000 when he died of pleural mesothelioma – a rare disease caused by exposure to asbestos, a fiber commonly found in homes. She has since become the spokesperson of Asbestos Cancer Victims’ Rights Campaign, a national campaign dedicated to protecting the rights of cancer victims and their families as well as raising awareness about this vicious disease.
As a parent, you worry about so many new changes in your children’s life at the start of the school year, but you may not even think of worrying about old hazards at their school, like asbestos. Communities work constantly to make schools the safest place possible for their students and protecting our children from asbestos exposure should be another priority to consider.