Last Updated on May 31, 2020 by Marie Bautista
If you’re planning on starting a business or maybe just making your brand’s presence felt online, then you need to ensure that people know who you are and that they know that they can trust you.
One way you can do this is through smart branding and a big part of this is creating a logo.
Creating a logo makes you instantly recognizable. It will set the tone for your business.
But how do you go about creating a logo that can work for you?
The first step to creating an amazing logo that speaks about you and what you represent is to find inspiration.
This can be harder than it sounds AND it’s very important that you avoid the obvious clichés.
Lightbulbs, ticks and globes are all seriously overused and if you use them, your business will appear derivative and unimaginative.
You can find inspiration by creating a ‘mood board’.
A mood board is, in essence, a collage of images that you find inspiring or that relate to your niche/industry.
Look for logos you like, products in your niche and items that are relevant to your topic. Once you’ve done this, you will have a single board you can glance at that will give you a kind of ‘artistic direction’ for your logo.
Another tip is to think of your company name. Are there clever ways you can use the letters? Does the name itself evoke anything in particular?
Now, brainstorm by sketching down as many ideas as you can.
The main aim here is not to be picky so jot down anything that comes to mind without judging. This way, you can stumble upon ideas both good and bad.
Create a few versions of your best ideas and then show them around to other people – it pays to get an outsider’s perspective. Get votes and then choose the one that’s most successful!
I have a perfect logo in mind. Now what?
If you are just beginning your business, more often it is an option to DIY.
Thankfully, the online world is such a vast source of resources and one of the best online tools that I discovered that is TOTALLY FREE is DesignEvo
Let’s see how it works:
Like I mentioned a while back, Design Evo is free. There is a paid version, of course, with more features, but if you are just starting and really prefer a way to make a logo for free, DesignEvo’s free version is perfectly fine.
Some of its key features:
- 3000+ professionally designed templates.
- Over one million icons available to search through.
- Hundreds of text fonts and shapes to choose from.
- Fully customizable features.
Here is a video on how easy it is to use DesignEvo.
One of the features I love is that you can choose from 6,000 plus professional grade logo designs.
Sounds overwhelming, right?
However, the over 6,000 templates are divided into categories such as Animal & Pet, Childcare & Education, and Fashion and Beauty.
You can also search using keywords so you can find the logo that would perfectly match what you really like.
For instance, I really like feminine designs and logos. Clicking on “flowers” gives me these beautiful logos:
- Once you have picked out the design you like, you can start putting your brand on your logo.
- You can add/revise icons and change their color and size.
- You can also change the text and the font. By the way, there are over 100 fonts you can use and you can change the color, add a shadow or glow, change size.
- DesignEvo also has a preview mode wherein you can see how your logo looks like on T-shirts, business cards, stationeries, and websites.
All features are free, although if you opt for the paid option, you can get:
- A 5000 x 5000px PNG/JPG file
- A PNG file with a transparent background
- Lifetime support
- A logo that is print ready
- Unlimited edits and re-download your logo
- Vector PDF and SVG files
- You can trademark your logo
Having a logo for you site is very important. With DesignEvo, designing your own logo can be very fulfilling and fun.