I just want to let you know that all opinions are my own and I may earn from qualifying purchases. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
Last Updated on May 12, 2017 by Marie Bautista
Have you noticed it yet? If you are into Facebook like I am, you might have noticed its brand new feature which may have the potential to help bloggers like you and me by getting more Facebook page likes. Isn’t that cool? At the bottom of your Facebook post, there will be a link that your readers can click to like your page. As your readers and friends and family share your content on their own pages, there will be a link to your Facebook page. Here is what mine looks like, when I shared my “Things You Never Knew About Our Favorite Star” on my Facebook page: Look at that arrow? Since I have my Facebook authorship set up, readers who read my post can click on that Mommy Unwired link and like and visit my Facebook page. If readers share my post, people can click on my page even if the post sharer didn’t tag my page. Aren’t we just glad every time Facebook comes with cool ideas ? Here’s what Facebook said about Facebook Authorship:
“Journalists use Facebook to share news as it happens and provide analysis to deepen the reader’s connection with their work. By implementing the Author Tag on their websites, publishers can make it easy for Facebook readers to start following the author of an article they just read and enjoyed. This is a web development tool that connects the byline in a story preview in the News Feed to the writer’s Page or Profile with Follow. People use Facebook every day to discover what’s going on in the world. The Author Tag helps connect those people to the stories and journalists that best inform and entertain them.”
Every time I share my content on Facebook, Facebook will automatically add “by Mommy Unwired” with a link to my Facebook page. So how can we bloggers and lovers of Facebook make this happen? Bloggers on wordpress can set it up in minutes. Here’s how:
- Open SEO YOAST plug in.
- Click on Facebook tab.
- Select “add open graph meta data.”
- Got to your user profile.
- Scroll down to your Facebook profile.
- Delete the URL to your Facebook profile and put your Facebook Page URL instead.
If you don’t do step 6 and just leave your profile there, your readers will be led to your personal Facebook profile and follow your posts that you share to the public. If you are a blogger, I think you would prefer more likes to your Facebook page, so Facebook Authorship is a nifty way to gain more Facebook likes. If you are on the Blogger platform like me, here’s what you should do:
Step 1 (VERY IMPORTANT):
- Go to your Facebook Settings.
- Click on the Followers Tab on the left.
- On Who Can Follow Me, click on “Everybody.”
Step 2 (ADDING FACEBOOK AUTHORSHIP TO YOUR BLOGGER BLOG):
- Go to your Blogger blog dashboard.
- Select Template.
- Click Backup/Restore on the upper right hand corner to back up your template just in case something goes wrong.
- Click Edit HTML.
- Press CTRL + F and search for the <head> tag
- Once you have found the <head> tag, paste the following code:
<meta property=”article:author” content=’https://www.facebook.com/MommyUnwired/’ /> <meta content=’https://www.facebook.com/MommyUnwired/’ property=’article:author’/>
- *Replace my Facebook Page Link (the one in red) with your Facebook Profile or Page Link.
7. Save. Final Step:
- Go to Facebook debugger.
- Enter the url of a recent blogpost.
- Click DEBUG.
- Click Fetch New Scrape Information.
- Scroll down to your Link Preview.
There goes the Authorship Tag! Hope you were able to add your Facebook Authorship! If you did, can I get a Like on Facebook?