The crying. The kicking. The screaming. The stranger stares.
A child melting down in public can make you feel helpless – and ashamed.
Is there any way to calm a child suddenly melting down in public?
I was a veteran of this scene – a screaming 2-year old throwing herself into the aisle of the mall, then as I was about to scoop her to save myself from those stares, she would dart under the clothes rack laughing like she was playing a game of hide and seek. Once I finally get her, she would scream for me to put her down as she wildly kicks her legs at me.
TANTRUMS AT THE SUPERMARKET
TANTRUMS WHEN PLAYING WITH FRIENDS
- A playmate who pushes his buttons
- Refusal to share
- Losing a game (especially if the winner rubs it in)
TANTRUMS DURING BEDTIME
- having fun playing and would not like to stop
- begging to have more time with you
- finding it unfair that they get to sleep earlier than anybody in the house